Friday, July 16, 2010

Bloody Brilliant

I'm not going to even try to write about the concert and do it justice. I tried that last night while writing in my journal, and I ended up writing for two hours. I'm not spending two hours chronicling the awesomeness that was Tuesday night because a) I don't want to spend that much time on a blog post and b) no one wants to read that.

Suffice it to say, the concert was absolutely AMAZING. Paul McCartney is bloody brilliant. I teared up a few times, as did my parents, but it wasn't some adolescent screaming for some celebrity I'm in love with. I was listening to music that is so familiar that it feels like it's a part of me, and I was listening to it being performed by the man who created it. It was overwhelming. Even as I was staring at the man himself, I still couldn't believe I was there hearing Paul McCartney live. He played "I've Just Seen a Face," which is a song I remember making up dances to when I was four. It was so cool.

The Beatles' music is like the soundtrack to my life. I've liked different sections of their career at different points in my life, and some songs have significant meaning and hold significant memories for me. So when I heard Paul McCartney play songs like "Blackbird," "Hey, Jude," and "Let It Be," you better believe I teared up. He also played "Paperback Writer," which is the very first Beatles song my dad heard on his very first transistor radio on his eighth birthday, which started his love of the Beatles and therefore mine, and I heard it straight from the man who started it all. I'm still in awe. I just want to go back to Tuesday night and relive it over and over and over.


Thank you, Paul, for coming to Utah and giving me such a ridiculously awesome opportunity to see you live. And thanks, Mom and Dad, for giving me the best birthday present ever and for letting me go with you so I had someone to experience it with. It was the most amazing night ever.

No comments: