Monday, May 2, 2011

Mixed Feelings

After writing a post about TV that is completely lacking in any and all substance, I felt like I needed to at least acknowledge that I do know what happened yesterday. In fact, I was watching Alias when my roommate walked in the living room and told Cora and me the news. We paused the show and took the news in for a minute, then we pressed play. I didn't turn on the news. And the truth is, I didn't want to. I don't want to know the details. It's good enough to know that bin Laden is gone.

In a lot of ways, my emotions are mixed right now, but not because I think bin Laden's death is a bad thing. I just don't like celebrating the death of a human being. I'm not putting anyone down; everyone else can celebrate however they want. This is a good thing. I just don't feel like celebrating.

I've watched plenty of TV shows and movies where the bad guy has finally been killed and thought, "It's about dang time!" But this is real life. This isn't a fictional character on a screen. This was a real man whose life is now over. Don't get me wrong—bin Laden was an evil, evil man who needed to be stopped, and if this is the way it had to happen, so be it. I just have a hard time being happy and shouting for joy when I hear about loss of life.

You are never going to hear me say that bin Laden's death is a sad thing. Never in a million years. He was a terrible person who did terrible things, and knowing that he will never be able to do any of those things again makes yesterday a victorious day for the United States, and for the world in general. Those who serve this country are incredibly brave, loyal souls who ensure that I can live the way I do, and I will ever be grateful for that.

That is why I would say that I am satisfied that bin Laden is gone, that that threat to peace is now eliminated. But I will not cheer in the streets. It is sad that bin Laden lived his life in a way that made this the necessary end to it. I am satisfied in knowing that he is now facing his just reward and will be fully aware of all the sins he committed as he faces eternal judgment. Satisfied is a good word for how I feel. Satisfied, but not particularly happy.

With that said, I really like this photo.

1 comment:

Kristen Pace said...

I know exactly what you are saying...I've felt the same way.