Saturday, May 30, 2009

Grandpa Newman, the Bow Tie Man


Today I went and saw the movie Up! It was pretty much the most amazing animated movie I have ever seen. And that's really not an exaggeration. It was wonderful. I can think of absolutely nothing bad to say about it. It was perfect; there was the perfect amount of just about every emotion in it. I will own that movie very shortly after its release to DVD.

The main character, Carl, is a man who has just lost his wife, a woman he spent most of his life with. During one part of the movie, they showed a picture of the elderly couple, sitting in their usual chairs in their home. Carl was wearing a bow tie, and I was instantly reminded of my Grandpa Newman, who always wore bow ties. He was known as the bow tie man. Grandpa Newman died four years ago this past March.

Well, this wasn't the first time I'd seen a bow tie and instantly thought of my grandpa (I think of him every time I see one), but for some reason, today it got to me. As soon as I saw that picture on the screen, the tears started flowing, and I've been having a hard time stopping them ever since. I think that's due to a number of things, but missing my grandfather was the key that opened the floodgates.

My Grandpa Newman was an amazing man. Amazing. Altogether, he served four missions: one on his own as a young man and three with my grandma. They served in the south side of Chicago, Kirtland, and Kazakhstan. They had to come home from Kazakhstan early when Grandpa found a lump in his throat. Six months later he was gone. He was the first person I lost who was close to me. He was a spiritual giant who had a dry sense of humor. He obviously deeply loved his wife, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. I miss his chuckle, the way he would clear his throat, his pocket protector, his sneaky hand that was always finding a grandchild to tickle, his Donald Duck impersonation, the way he would talk to any and all birds, the warmth of his hugs, and the way his eyes radiated love when he looked at me. And, of course, his bow ties.

I am so incredibly grateful for the knowledge that I will see him again. I don't know how I could bear the pain of losing that beloved man without that knowledge. Though the pain is sharp and real, I know that it is temporary. The tears may flow tonight, but one day I will be crying tears of joy as I hug my grandfather again. The Lord is there, and I know it. He has to be, or none of the pain of mortal existence would be worth anything.

3 comments:

Megan said...

That was beautiful, Lindy. Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan said...

:)

Jeanine's blog said...

Warn me that this is going to be a tear jerker before you tell me to read this!

I miss my dad.

I'm going to send this to Grandma.