Monday, July 13, 2009

My Book List


For some reason, lately I've been thinking a lot about books that I want to read in my lifetime. I'm doing my best to compile a list of books to read, but it's hard when it seems like just about everything sounds interesting to me. I've even been in the mood to read nonfiction, which is kind of weird to me because I usually limit myself to fiction.

I made the mistake of looking up a list of Pulitzer prize-winning books, and I have since decided that I want to read every one of them. Even those on the nonfiction list. And even some on the biography list.

Unfortunately, this desire to read new books and discover new ideas is conflicting with my desire to re-read all of the books that I know and love. It's been over a year since I've read my Harry Potter series, and while that seems like a very short amount of time, that's quite a feat for me. I really think this is the longest I've gone without reading the series in about eight years.

Another problem I'm having is that I find my attention diverted in all different directions. I want to hang out with friends, and work my way through the movie list that I'm also making, and play Guitar Hero, and write in my journal, and write my own fiction . . . There are so many things calling for my attention that I just don't seem to read nearly as much as I used to. I used to make it through at least a book a week, depending on the length and difficulty, and now I'm lucky if I read a book a month. It's so sad.

It also doesn't help that I like to buy any book I want to read. I figure that if a book is worth reading, it's worth owning. I've got to build up my library somehow, right? Unfortunately I want to spend my money in a million different places too . . .

My goal for the next few weeks/months is to read more. I need to expand my literary tastes. I rarely read something I don't enjoy, so I just need to be brave enough to read things I've never read before. I'm open to any and all suggestions—they'll just end up at the end of my list, and I'll get there when I get there.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I have the reading bug too- but face the same problems. I am reading three books right now. But I know that once school starts, I won't be reading for fun, I will have enough of it to do for school. Summer is the only time I really get to read.