Sunday, December 19, 2010

I Love Christmas

Christmas is probably my favorite time of year. I know a lot of people say that, especially little kids, but I still love Christmas. And as I have gotten older, I have realized that I love it more for different reasons. As a kid, I loved Christmas because of the presents (of course). Let's be honest, that's the reason every kid loves Christmas. However, I also loved the feeling that I got around Christmas. I don't think I fully understood what that feeling was, but I loved it nonetheless.

Dad always puts Christmas lights on the house. He loves making the house look festive because he loves this season just as much as I do. When I was little, I would fall asleep looking at the window, where I could see the red and green lights on the roof glowing through the blinds. I absolutely loved Christmas morning. Matt and I would usually be the first ones awake. We would go and wake up Chelly and Ben, then we'd go to the Christmas tree, which was always lit with white Christmas lights. It was dark outside, and we wouldn't turn on any other lights, so the living room was lit by the tree alone. I loved opening my stockings by the light of the tree.

Then, once we couldn't take it anymore, we'd finally get up the nerve to wake up Mom and Dad. They'd stumble out of bed (or tell us to wait twenty more minutes) and we'd all gather around the Christmas tree, wrapped in blankets. Dad would hand us gifts one by one and we'd unwrap them one at a time. As it grew lighter outside, the piles of gifts next to each of us kids grew larger, until we finally opened the last and biggest gift from Santa. Then we'd eat Christmas Morning Casserole (the only day of the year Mom ever makes it), play with some of our gifts, and, after opening more gifts at Grandma and Grandpa Brown's house, watch a movie or two.

I love these memories. I love remembering how I felt as a child and letting the excitement of Christmas engulf me again. I no longer wake up before dawn on Christmas morning or scour the house for gifts that Mom and Dad have hidden. It no longer feels like the month of December lasts an eternity. (Instead, it passes in the blink of an eye.) I no longer sit on Santa's knee and tell him what I want for Christmas, nor do I leave cookies and milk for Santa to eat. But it seems that no matter how old I get, Christmas is still special. I love Christmas lights and decorations. I love nativity scenes and advent calendars. And I still love seeing wrapped presents under the tree with my name on them.

But most of all, I love thinking of Christ. I love being able to mention Christ's name often, and to hear his name spoken often. I love knowing what this season is about. I love watching the excitement in little kids' eyes when I ask them what they asked Santa for. I love listening to Christmas music and feeling the importance of this time of year. I love singing in Christmas programs and feeling like I've contributed to the spirit of Christmas.

There is nothing like the feeling at Christmas. It is such a wonderful and peaceful spirit, and I only hope I can keep it in my heart all year 'round.

No comments: