Monday, June 16, 2008

Destiny?

When I was at home for Father's Day this past weekend, I had this sudden urge to read my old journals. So, naturally, I started at the beginning. And I was amazed at what I found.

I was a nerd even then!

I used the word "whatsoever." What eleven-year-old says "whatsoever"? Especially in relation to the fact that there were no cute boys in my class. "None whatsoever." Good heavens, I was an odd child.

And then, a little further on, I noticed that I used the word "whom." Whom! Nobody uses "whom" now, let alone a twelve-year-old! My niece is twelve, and I don't even think she knows the word exists. I even used it correctly! (I checked, of course.)

And to top it all off, I wrote dialog. Whole conversations set in quotes, and punctuated properly. I know editing minors now who didn't know how to correctly punctuate dialog before college, and I was doing it at eleven.

I must have been destined to be an English major. With a brain like that, there's nothing else I could have done.