Friday, September 3, 2010

Let the Craziness Begin

What craziness, you ask? Well, in about 24 hours, I will be sitting in my seat at LaVell Edwards Stadium watching BYU kick off the 2010 season. And I turn into crazy Lindy during the football season.


I am so weird. I freaking love sports. I know I've posted about this before, but I'm posting about it again. Because hey, it's my blog, and I can write about whatever I want. And football is on my mind right now. I'm literally squirming in my seat right now because I'm so excited about the prospect of watching BYU play Washington tomorrow. It has been nine long months since the last Cougar football game, and it's about freaking time for another season.

The beginning of a new football season is always exciting. I seriously get chills just thinking about sitting in the stadium and watching my Cougars run onto the field. Is that weird? Yeah, probably, but I don't care.

For me, Cougar football is a family affair. I've been watching BYU play for as long as I can remember. I've been dealing with the BYU/Utah rivalry ever since I started elementary school. Let me tell you, growing up in Salt Lake as a BYU fan isn't the easiest thing to do. Not that anything awful ever happened to me, but I have endured some verbal abuse. Much like the Ute fans down here in Provo get, I'm sure.

Even going to football games is a family thing. The games have never been a social thing for me—even when I was going to BYU, I would get an all-sports pass with my brother and sit with him and about seven of his married guy friends. But it didn't matter, because I was there to watch the game, not to chat. I got to listen to some interesting sports talk from those guys, which was really fun.

And now that I'm all graduated and have moved on from the student section (sadly enough), I buy my own season tickets and go to games with my dad and my two brothers. And I love it. I love talking sports with them and soaking in everything that they know. They know way more than I do, so I learn a lot from them. Especially my father, who really needs to be a sportscaster somewhere. He'd be so awesome at that job.

BYU's recent announcement that they are going independent with an eight-year contract with ESPN has only increased my excitement for Cougar football. I know, I know, the change won't happen until the 2011 season, but this could mean big things for BYU. Sure, it could also blow up in everyone's faces, but I'm looking at the bright side here. And I think there are a lot of very positive things that could come from this. I think it's about time BYU did something different.

I'm not going to give any kind of predictions for this year's team. BYU lost a lot of starters last year, so there are a lot of newbies coming on the field this season. It could be very interesting. I'm just hoping the young guys step up and surprise us with a great season. I definitely wouldn't mind BYU winning the conference championship their last season in the MWC. I'm not expecting it, but it'd definitely be sweet.

The bottom line is that I bleed Cougar blue through and through. And that won't change any time soon. Go Cougs!

No comments: