Sunday, May 25, 2008

Contentment

The past year of my life has been a turbulent one.

A little over a year ago, I broke up with my four-year boyfriend. We had been together since we were sixteen. By the end, it had turned pretty bad. I guess that was to be expected. What sixteen-year-old can really, truly have her life planned out? Definitely not me. For a long time, I was angry. Angry at what he had done to me, angry at how thoroughly he had hurt me, and angry that no matter how hard I tried I still seemed to think about him way too often.

I also realized that, because I was with one person during my crucial finding-myself years, I never fully found out who I was without him. So this past year I have been doing some exploring, making some big changes to see what I really like and don't like; who I truly am and what I want for myself.

And finally, after a year of tears and heartbreak and frustrations, I've come to a point where I am content. While I don't have myself fully figured out yet, I'm happy with where I am and with the progress I've made. The anger has completely gone; I cannot fully describe how light and happy that makes me feel.

Bottom line, life is good. Life is amazing. So full of possibility and promise. I'm a blank slate, ready to let the Lord work on me and make of me what He wants me to be. I am a strong woman, an independent woman, who is fully capable of being successful with or without someone by her side. I am going to live life to its fullest, enjoying every moment of it. Life is too short to waste.

1 comment:

Melancholy Sunshine said...

I really like this post. Everyone has to go through such a self learning process as you have done. I've come to learn that that quest is never truely over (at least at our age and possibly never).