Friday, January 9, 2009

Just Hold Your Peace

Exodus 14:14: "The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace."

This scripture has been one of my favorites for a while now, since one day last year in Sunday School when I ran across it randomly. I don't remember if it had anything to do with the lesson, but it hit me and hit me hard.

It made me realize that I had been trying to deal with some battles that weren't mine to fight, and that I needed to let them go, no matter how justified I felt in fighting them. Sometimes we are the victims, and I know that when I'm in that situation I get defensive and want to fight back. But sometimes--probably most of the time--we have to let our offenses go and give them to the Lord. Because that's what He's there for. He's there to take upon Himself our sins, our troubles, our heartaches, our pains, if we only let Him. Why would I want to fight my battles when I have a much stronger fighter on my side who's willing to fight for me? The Lord will take care of everything, so sometimes we just have to let it go.

Which reminds me of something my tenth grade seminary teacher said all the time. Any time a student would ask him a hard doctrinal question that he couldn't answer, he would reply, "It'll all be fine." Because it will be. If I just hold my peace and let the Lord fight for me, everything will be fine.

No comments: