Monday, March 23, 2009

"Open Your Eyes" Amendment

After reading a friend's blog, I got to thinking about my "Open Your Eyes" post. And I felt a little guilty. I don't think I gave guys enough credit. I have my excuses, though. 1) I was very frustrated and I needed to vent. 2) It was three o'clock in the morning. They may not mean much, but they're there nonetheless.

First of all, I want to say that I still stand by what I wrote. I'm not particularly frustrated about it right this moment, but I do think that guys go after the wrong girls. But I was thinking about it, and I realized that girls are not any better. We are just as guilty (if not more so) of looking over what's right in front of our faces in favor of the more mysterious, intriguing options that are further away.

I myself am guilty of this. I apparently go after the wrong guys (and here I'm using my own definition) just like these guys I'm complaining about go after the wrong girls. In the past six or seven months, I have been interested in two guys who were not interested in me. And while I did not pursue them in the traditional sense (call me old-fashioned, but I think that's the man's job), I certainly did all I could do to let them know how I felt and to get them to make a move. And now I'm seemingly in the midst of going through this whole scenario again. (Yes, with another guy. Yes, I know I'm a little boy crazy right now. So sue me.)

I guess this is just a memo to myself to evaluate myself and my own actions before I jump to conclusions about others and try to tell them how to act. Maybe next time I'll stop myself before shoving my foot in my mouth.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Hey Lindy- I think it is true that we all go after the wrong ones. But I think that is kind of the point. Hopefully we learn by those experiences and find out what a right one would look like and sound like and think like. We all kind of have to find out who the right one is on our own. It is so easy to stand back and see clearly, but when you are in the middle of crushing over someone, it's a lot harder. In the end though, I think we always walk away with a little bit clearer idea of who it is that we are looking for.