Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ahh, the Outside World

Last weekend, I got to leave Provo. Sure, it was only for a few hours, but it felt great nonetheless. I've been increasingly more frustrated with things down here in Happy Valley lately, so just running away for an evening felt wonderful.

Faith, Cora, and I headed up to Salt Lake City because I found out that one of mine and Faith's high school friends was performing with Laughing Stock at the Off Broadway Theatre. So we randomly decided to go see his show, and it was well worth the trip.

It took us about half an hour to find parking, and we eventually just ended up paying three bucks for a tiny little parking lot a few blocks away from the theatre. Then, we lost our sense of direction and walked the wrong way on Main Street. But we quickly realized our mistake, turned around, and headed in the actual direction of the theatre.

We got to the theatre about an hour early, so we bought our tickets and just sat in front of the theatre, on those bench things that they plant the trees in. (You know what I'm talking about, right?) While we were sitting there, this lady walked up to us and told us that her daughter had left her ID in the car, and they just wanted to go in this bar. So she asked us if one of us would lend her our IDs. Cora instantly piped in with, "I'm not 21. Sorry." Faith and I kind of looked at each other and politely declined. She got pretty mad. "I'll just need it for two minutes!" The kicker? This lady wasn't even white, and neither was her daughter. Faith and I are about as white as you can get. So, you know, no one would have guessed that it wasn't her ID. Right.

After that fun little experience, we decided to wait in the theatre. Right before the show started, our friend Zach came out to the lobby and spotted me and Faith. Seeing how excited he was to see us made the trip completely worth it. I hadn't seen Zach in probably about two years, so catching up with him was really fun.

The show itself was so much fun. I used to go to the OBT almost every weekend, but I hadn't been in about three years, so it was fun to see my favorite improv troupe again. On the very first game, they used Cora's name and school. As soon as she said she went to BYU, boos broke out (mostly from the actors). Faith, Cora, and I were on the front row in full few of the stage, and for the rest of the night, we were known as the "BYU girls." It was a running gag the rest of the night, and after the show when we passed the actors, they all yelled, "Hey! The BYU girls!" It was highly entertaining.

All in all, it was an awesome night. Even with the weird ID lady and the other weird people we passed to and from my car. (Including three guys, of which one said something along the lines of, "Three guys, three ladies . . . ." It was nice to know he could count.) It was very much a spontaneous trip, but it was one that I desperately needed. I'm not saying I hate Provo or anything (because I really don't), but I just needed to get out, and it was great.

I'm sorry this is a text-only post. I completely forgot my camera, which was sad because I'm sure we could have gotten some entertaining pictures.

1 comment:

Faith said...

You're right... that WAS really fun. YAY for escaping monotony!!