Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Road Trips + Friends + Shakespeare = Awesome

This past weekend, Faith and I took a little drive down to Cedar City to visit Kate, and to see "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged." In short, the trip was so much fun! I wish it wasn't a 3-hour drive and a $40-dollar ticket, because then I would so be going to see the show again this weekend.

Faith and I arrived in Cedar at around 4, and I was so happy to stop driving. My heel went completely numb from propping my foot against the gas pedal. Weird, I know. It's at times like these that I wish I had cruise control. Oh well.

After chilling at Kate's for a bit, we went to eat at Chili's, then headed out for the show. This was my first time going to a Shakespearean Festival production, so I was pretty excited. I do have to admit that when I found out that the tickets were $40 I was a little hesitant, but let me tell you, that show was worth every penny.

Matt, Geoff, and Quinn
 
I don't think I have ever laughed so hard so consistently for that extended amount of time. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen, hands down. And it was definitely the best-deserved standing ovation I have given—well, next to "Wicked," that is. There was so much audience participation and so many random things ("Monkey dance party!", "Call me Butlove") that I could not stop laughing. Because there is audience participation, there is quite a bit of improv involved in the show, and I loved it when the actors broke. Quinn was really good at keeping a straight face . . . there was only one part I can remember him cracking.

Even with the hilarity of the show, there were some parts in Hamlet when the actors showed just how talented they are. Matt gave one of Hamlet's soliloquies, and he moved seamlessly from making fun of it to giving a serious performance. It was pretty amazing, especially since he simply stood there. He paced it all with nothing more than his breathing. At the end, Quinn gave Hamlet's dying speech, which was also pretty amazing.

It also didn't hurt that Quinn was incredibly attractive. Just saying.

(As a random side note, seeing this show gave me a new ambition: to perform on stage again. I haven't done anything on stage since high school, and I realized just how much I miss it. So I'm on the lookout for community theaters in Provo/Orem who have open auditions. If you know of any, let me know! )

After the show, we wandered around the SUU campus to take some random pictures by the many statues. Here's a little sampling:


 

 

 

It was so much fun to see Kate! Since she lives so dang far away, I don't get to see her nearly as often as I would like. We had a bit too much fun together—we stayed up until 4:30 talking on Saturday. Luckily Kate's church didn't start until 1 pm, or we would have died.

It was such a great trip. It felt so good to just get away (again). It's so good to take advantage of fun experiences like this. Sure, I could have spent the gas and ticket money on a pair of shoes or a couple of books, but I think this was a much better decision. I love going places and experiencing new things and making memories with people I love.

I love these girls, they're the best!

No comments: