Tuesday, October 20, 2009

March Madness . . . er . . . sort of

When I was in high school, every March we had March Madness in seminary, which meant that we were supposed to read the Book of Mormon in a month. I did it three years in a row, and it was amazing what kinds of new things I could get from that wonderful book every time.

Recently, I've been a little lackluster in my scripture study. I would read my scriptures everday, but somehow reading a few verses right before falling asleep just didn't seem to cut it. Plus, I just feel like something has been lacking in my life recently. I haven't been able to quite pinpoint what it is, but something isn't quite right, and I knew I needed to change something.

I was talking to my roommate on Saturday, and I mentioned something about my seminary's March Madness, and she got really excited. Her seminary didn't do that, so she decided she wanted to try it, and I told her I would join her.

I'm three days in, and already I feel different. It's nothing completely dramatic, and I still get annoyed and down occasionally, but I don't feel quite as . . . I don't know how to explain it. Frenetic, maybe? Unsettled? Lost? Anxious? I'm still trying to figure some things out in my life, but I feel calmer, more peaceful. And reading the Book of Mormon can never hurt when you've got questions.

On Sunday, I went to the worship service at the Hare Krishna temple in Spanish Fork with Faith. At one point during the sermon, the leader guy (sorry, I have no idea what they're called) asked us to raise our hands if we had read a book that changed our lives. Me, Faith, and Faith's friend Chae raised our hands, then Faith said, "What book are you thinking of?" Chae responded, "I don't know about yours, but mine's blue." And it's true. That little blue book has so much power for change, and change for the better!

I'm three days in, and I'm rediscovering how absolutely incredible the Book of Mormon is. I can't wait to see how I feel after 30 days.

No comments: