Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Idiot Moment of the Day

To begin this rather awesome moment of idiocy (and to defend myself just a bit), I must say that every time I get out of my car, I lock it. I never leave it unlocked, anywhere I go. Even if I'm just running into the store for five minutes, I lock my car. I don't have keyless entry, so I have to put the key in the driver's door and turn it, which locks all of the doors. The thing is, I can never remember which way locks the doors and which way unlocks the doors. I usually end up turning the key twice until I hear the locks engage.

Well, this morning I headed out to my car and went to unlock the doors so I could start the car and let it warm up while I scraped. My doors were all frosty from the night's cold, and my windows were completely frosted over. I stuck my key in the lock and turned until I heard the locks engage. But when I pulled the handle, the door wouldn't open. I was pretty sure it was frozen shut, so I pulled harder, but that didn't work.

The maintenance man at my apartment complex walked past as I was trying to get my door to open and asked me if it was frozen shut, and I said yes. He was very nice and tried to help me open it. I went around to the passenger's side door to see if that one would open so I could push the driver's side door open from the inside, but the other door was frozen shut too. The maintenance man grabbed a water bottle from his truck and tried melting the ice away with it, but the door still wouldn't open.

At this point, the maintenance man looked at me and said, "Are you sure it's unlocked?"

"Yeah, I know I unlocked it," I replied, but I pulled out my keys just to show him that it was already unlocked. Some of the water he had used had melted enough of the frost on the window so I could see the lock inside the car, and sure enough, the stupid car was locked.

I felt like the biggest idiot in the entire world. My doors weren't frozen shut. They were locked. I couldn't believe it, because that meant I didn't lock my car the night before, so when I turned the key, it locked it instead of unlocked it. I mumbled an inaudible thanks to the maintenance man and got into my car as quickly as I could. Thanks to my idiocy, I was fifteen minutes late to work.

Man, I am awesome. Except...not.

4 comments:

Haliaka said...

HAHAHAHAHAH that is hilariouse!!!

Sceganation said...

You know, sometimes things just happen, now you can laugh at yourself! It's a funny thing, relish that feeling!

Cora Newman said...

Ahhaha! That is awesome! :)

Faith said...

I'm proud :D