Friday, February 4, 2011

Grandpa

Day 24: A photo of something that means a lot to you.


These pictures sit on the bookshelf right next to my bedroom door. I love these pictures. They're my homage to Grandpa Newman, one of the very best men I've ever known. I took the one on the far left one Memorial Day when I was visiting Grandpa's grave. I'm not entirely sure why I took it, but it turned out really well, so I printed it.

I absolutely love the middle picture. I know it's small so you can't see it really well, but that's Grandpa holding baby me. I'm fast asleep, and he's just looking at me with so much love in his eyes. It's the only picture I know of with just me and Grandpa, and I think the first time I saw it was in the slide show at his viewing. It was the picture that made me break down, but I love it all the same. I can just see how much Grandpa loved me, and it warms my heart.

The third picture is one that my uncle took. They were putting an addition on Grandma and Grandpa's cabin, and that little bird kept flying in and getting stuck. Grandpa had an affinity with birds (he talked to them frequently), so he kept catching it and putting it back outside. I love this picture because it exemplifies William Newman. He was a hard worker and a skilled craftsman. He used those hands to build his house, to make wicker chairs, and to fix anything that needed fixing. Those hands were calloused and worn. Yet they could also be gentle enough to hold a little bird and get it to safety and nimble enough to sneak a tickle attack. 

I miss that man so much. He was full of laughter, love, and happiness. He gave the best hugs, and I can't wait for the day that I get to feel one again. I love you, Grandpa Newman, and I'm so glad I'll get to see you again.

1 comment:

Jeanine's blog said...

I miss him too. This brought tears to my eye, but they are good tears.