Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Have No Words

So, the other day I was avoiding writing my article at Paper Crafts, so I was looking around on Facebook. I saw that one of my friends wrote a note, so I decided to read it. It was one of those angry notes, full of frustration at the world in general and at a couple people specifically. I thought, "Oh, that's too bad, he's frustrated." And just kept reading. But as I was reading, I realized that the story he was telling sounded oddly familiar. So familiar, in fact, that I felt like I was one of the characters in it. I read it over and over, just to make sure that he was, in fact, ranting and raving about me. And he was. My jaw dropped. I was a little upset, but mostly I thought it was funny. Here's the part that's really important:
"I've been noticing a lot lately how absolutely genuine people are not. I have really started wondering who my friends actually are.

"First off. To the ladies. Yes I'm a pre-mi and no I'm not on your list of marriage prospects but that doesn't mean we can't be friends. I feel like over half the girls in my apartment complex don't want to talk to me because I'm not a returned missionary and am therefore not a marriage opportunity. I know, that's probably an over exaggeration but I have examples. There were some girls (I'll call them genuine friend 1 and 2) who, at one time came and visited our apartment and I would go over to theirs but then I found out that one of them was interested in my roommate. I started watching different behaviors and realized I was just a pawn in their chess game. So I started limiting my visits somewhat to genuine friend 1 and 2's apartment and quickly withdrew and was rarely ever invited over again, especially after my room mate explained he was not interested. Thanks, genuine friend 1 and 2, I really appreciate your friendship. There is another example of that too but not as severe. However, genuine friend 1 recently has found an interest in another of my room mates and suddenly I'm a friend again....thanks...but no thanks...I don't need that."
In case you don't know, I'm "genuine friend 2" and my roommate is "genuine friend 1." I want to respond a little bit. First off, I'm so sorry that I was interested in your roommate, and therefore talked to him more than I talked to you. But you would have done the same to me. Second, we stopped talking to everyone in your apartment, not just you. And it is not because you're only 19. And besides, you could have put a in a little effort too. You can't expect everyone to make sure you're invited to every little thing. You could have talked to us and kept coming over even when we stopped going to your house. You should have known it would be a little awkward once your roommate "explained he was not interested."

So I guess my title is a little misleading. I do have words. It just took me 24 hours to finally formulate them.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I HATE drama. It makes me want to vomit. I wish everyone could be grown-up about things. People need to not invest so much emotion into everything they see and everyone they meet and relax a little. It stresses me out to think that there have to be all these rules to everything. That A+B+G-2D= a good friend. Someone needs a vacation. Sorry for ranting a little. I am just tired of the drama.