Saturday, January 21, 2012

Nana nana nana nana...BATMAN!

Day Five: Your favorite super hero and why.


I think Batman is freaking awesome, though that's mostly due to Christopher Nolan's interpretation of Batman's universe. I've never been a huge comic book fan, so most of my super hero knowledge comes from the big screen. I have to admit, though, that I love me some comic book movies. They are highly entertaining.

The main reason Batman is my favorite super hero is that the movies are insanely awesome. Christopher Nolan is seriously a genius. I love Christian Bale as Batman (no matter how annoying his Batman voice gets), I love Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon, I love Michael Caine as Alfred, I love Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, and I love, love, love Heath Ledger as the Joker. The Dark Knight Rises trailer gives me chills, and I cannot wait to see it. Tom Hardy as Bane is going to be sick. Throw in performances by Joseph Gordon-Leavitt and Marion Cotillard, and I'm in movie heaven (despite Anne Hathaway as Catwoman). Midnight showing here I come!

Another thing I like about Batman is that he's not a super hero in the super powers sense. He doesn't have any super powers. He's just a normal dude (albeit a very, very rich dude) who decided to take action in Gotham. It's kind of cool. And it brings up a lot of issues about society and about how societies view vigilantes who take the law into their own hands. Heroes like Superman and Spider-Man don't bring up quite the same issues. While they are technically vigilantes, they can do things no one else can do because they're "super." Batman just has loads of money and could have competition if another super rich vigilante decides to jump in the ring. It also means that the villains are more interesting because they don't have super powers either. They just want to take down Batman.

Basically, Batman is the coolest.

No comments: