Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Take Your Pick

Day Sixteen: Nicknames you have and why.

I kind of have a lot of nicknames. Rather, I've had a lot of nicknames in my life. The most obvious one being Lindy. Here's the scoop on that one: My dad worked with a lady whose name was Andralynn and she went by Lindy. He really liked the sound of it, and my mom agreed, and voila, it became my name. My mom apparently had this thing about giving us nicknamable names: My brothers are Benjamin, Robert, and Matthew, with their obvious corresponding nicknames. My sister is RoChelle, and we call her Chelly. Then mine is Andralynn, and I've been called Lindy my whole life. It gets a wee bit confusing. Sometimes I wish I had just gone by Andralynn my whole life. So if you ever want to start calling me Andralynn, go right ahead.

Other nicknames I have had in my life are Andra, Android, Androidlynn, Androidlindy, Andralindy, Linny, Linny-Loo, Lindy-Loo-Hoo who is no more than two. Andy has been thrown around a few times. I had a friend in high school who called me Lynnandra. A friend in my ward persists in calling me Lindizzle. And I have had two people consistently call me Andralynn, and while that isn't technically a nickname, it feels like one because no one else calls me that. (And the fact that they were guys I was interested in [and I think returned the sentiment] made it all the better.)

Most of these nicknames have no reason behind them; they simply sounded funny to whoever was talking to me, so they got used. Not much more to it than that.

No comments: