Friday, January 14, 2011

Ugh, dating.

Day 3: Your idea of the perfect date.

I hate dating. Truly, I do. Especially in the Mormon culture when everybody seems to expect me to get married two years ago. And when I haven't been on a date since September. And when I haven't actually been asked on a date since July (September was a blind date). And when . . . well, you get the idea. There's no need to make myself sound any lamer.

The point is, dating sucks, and talking about dating sucks, and writing about dating sucks. So I don't like this day of the challenge, but I'll do it anyway.

Truthfully, I don't have a clear idea of a perfect first date. I don't think there is one. I can go on the most well-planned date with fun activities, but if I don't get along with the guy, it's going to be awkward. I mostly have ideas about what a perfect date definitely would not be. Marathon dates are awkward. Movies aren't good because we can't talk. Dinner alone can feel too formal and stuffy.

I think a good first date is simply ice cream. Yes, just ice cream. It's short and simple, and it gives us the chance to talk and get to know each other. Then, if it's really awkward, we can call it good and go home. Or, if things are going well and my date has planned ahead, we can extend the date and go do something else.

Bowling and miniature golfing are great for first dates because I have to get out of myself a little bit. I suck at both, but that's kind of what makes it fun. I have to get over any insecurities I have about how bad I am and just enjoy myself. I am usually the most fun to be around when people force me out of my comfort zone—that's when I just loosen up and forget about whether I look stupid or not.

And that's really as close as I can get to a "perfect" date. I just think it is all so dependent on the person I'm on the date with. Different people shine in different situations, so there's a different perfect date for everyone, depending on who they're with. (I don't think I could more perfectly avoid the question than I did with that sentence right there.)

PS: Cora has joined in on the blog challenge fun. Chiggity chiggity check it.

No comments: