Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dear Mom and Dad

Day Twenty: A letter to your parents.

Dear Mom and Dad,

Thank you. For so, so many things. The older I get and the more people I meet, the more I recognize how normal, healthy, and happy my childhood was. I am part of a lucky few who can say with perfect certainty that their parents love each other and that they never once worried about an argument turning into a divorce. I never worried about the state of your marriage. There may have been arguments, but I knew that you would both figure out whatever was wrong and that our family would remain stable and whole.

Thank you for providing me with an incredibly stable home life growing up. I always knew that home was a safe place. It was a place where I was completely comfortable. Where I knew there would be people that I loved and who loved me in return. I could bring friends home and not worry about what their perceptions of me and my family would be. You were always the cool parents who treated all my friends the same. They all loved you for that.

Dad, thank you for showing me how my future husband should treat his wife. For showing me what it looks like for a worthy priesthood holder to serve faithfully in the church. For showing me how I want the future father of my children to treat his kids. For always being so completely willing to help me out with my car or with school or with my taxes or with anything else I ever need.

Mom, thank you for always, always being there for me. For listening to me whine and moan. For dealing with me when I was tired and stressed and not thinking clearly. For showing me how to be a good mom when I have my own kids. For showing me how to be a good and open person. For teaching me how to treat those around me with love and respect.

And most importantly, I thank you both for raising me in the Gospel. For teaching me that I have a Heavenly Father. That I have a Savior who died for me. That there is a Holy Ghost to prompt me and teach me. That there is a prophet on earth today to help guide me. Thank you for raising me with firm beliefs and standards. Thank you for ever and always being amazing examples of service, both inside the Church and outside it. For living what you preach. 

I can't adequately express how grateful I am that you are my parents and that I was sent to you. I love you so much. Thank you for everything.

Love,

Lindy

No comments: