Sunday, February 5, 2012

Good friends help you move. Best friends help you move bodies.

Day Twenty-One: What you think of your friends.

I feel like this is kind of a weird question. If I didn't like my friends, they wouldn't be my friends, would they? But I guess I'll play along and elaborate a little bit.

I'll start with my girlfriends. I have some incredible girls in my life. I honestly do. They are always seeing what they can do for others, and I love having that example. They are incredible to talk to. We can have random, goofy discussions about really trivial things, and we can switch to a different mode and have really in-depth, valuable conversations about things that are meaningful to us. I get incredible advice when I talk to these girls, and I always feel better after discussing things with them.

I also have some incredible guy friends. They are worthy priesthood holders, and I see them at church every Sunday, which is such a cool thing when I sit down and think about it. I have a list of guys I could contact if I ever needed a blessing. I know that I can count on these guys to help me out if I am ever in need. I love that I have a contingent of guys I can talk to about sports, since my girlfriends don't really care. It's always fun to go to church on Sunday and have a guy come up to me specifically to ask what I thought of the game last night. I love that these are good, solid guys who are trying to do what's right.

However, I do get annoyed with a lot of these guys. Mostly because they're not asking girls on dates. Or because they're not asking the girls they hang out with on dates (including me). That gets frustrating. I'm not saying that every guy I hang out with has to be interested in me; that's not the case at all. But once in a while, it would be nice if they noticed the girls they spend most of their time with and changed things up a bit. It's fun to get to know someone one-on-one instead of always being in a group.

I really do have amazing people in my life right now. The other day I was talking to Cora about the evolution of my group of friends over the years. There were some people that I hung out with a couple of years ago that weren't the greatest of examples. Don't get me wrong—there was nothing wrong with them. They just didn't take the Honor Code terribly seriously, and that attitude permeated a lot of other things. I loved hanging out with them, for the most part, but I realized that I didn't particularly like who I was when I hung out with them. That isn't the case with the people I hang out with right now. I love who I am when I'm with them, and I love the things they bring out of me. I want to be better and do better when I'm around them. And I love that I have those kinds of influences in my life.

No comments: