Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Giving Thanks Day 15: Music

First of all, I should say that things are looking up today. I think the crisis has been averted, for the most part, and I am simply praying that things can go back to normal fairly soon. I am absolutely exhausted, though. I don't remember the last time I went to bed before 1:00 a.m., and there have been many nights lately when I haven't slept well. And the fact that I ended up working for 10 hours today (until 7:00 p.m.) really didn't help. But things are looking better, and it's looking like I should get to bed before midnight tonight, which will be fantastic.

One thing that made my extra long workday better was Spotify and all my awesome music. I am so thankful for good music. Music is such a calming influence for me, and listening to certain music (and singing at the top of my lungs) can be super cathartic. I feel like music can express my feelings so much more powerfully than any words ever could, and I'm so thankful for the artists that seem to capture exactly what I'm feeling.

To make this thankful post a little more exciting, I'm going to include another list of some of my current favorite songs. I don't know why I love these lists so much, but I do.

  1. "I've Got This Friend" by The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow (Okay, we all know I'm obsessed with this band, and since I already shared "Poison & Wine" and "Barton Hollow," I figured I'd choose a different song of theirs. But seriously, just go listen to this entire album. It's freaking amazing.)
  2. "Lily's Theme" by Alexandre Desplat, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (I really love both Deathly Hallows soundtracks.)
  3. "Couer d'Alene" by The Head and the Heart, The Head and the Heart 
  4. "Awake My Soul" by Mumford & Sons, Sigh No More
  5. "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People, Torches (I know this song is about a kid who wants to shoot up his school, but it's so dang catchy!)
  6. "If It Kills Me" by Jason Mraz, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.
  7. "Broken Open" by Cold War Kids, Mine Is Yours
  8. "Lionel and Bertie" by Alexandre Desplat, The King's Speech (This soundtrack is as good as the movie. I love it so.)
  9. "You Really Got a Hold on Me" by She & Him, Volume One (Thank you Spotify for helping me discover new artists.)
  10. "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum, Need You Now
  11. "Misery" by Maroon 5, Hands All Over
  12. "Arms" by Christina Perri, lovestrong.
  13. "Inevitable" by Anberlin, Cities
  14. "Someone Like You" by Adele, 21 (I can't believe it took me 14 songs to remember Adele. This is the best sing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs music. Ever.)
  15. "Rhapsody in Blue" by The 5 Browns, No Boundaries
  16. "Hell No" by Sondre Lerche and Regina Spektor, Dan in Real Life
  17. "Crossfire" by Brandon Flowers, Flamingo
  18. "Marry Me" by Train, Save Me San Francisco (This song is kind of adorable.)
  19. "Learn to Live With What You Are" by Ben Folds, Supersunnyspeedgraphic
  20. "Noah Visits" by James Newton Howard, The Village

No comments: