Sunday, November 6, 2011

Giving Thanks Day 6: My Ward

Today was a good Sunday. Which is to be expected because every Sunday is good. However, it could have been a better Sunday, and I'll tell you why. We had stake conference today, which was a great meeting, but it wasn't the same as going to my own ward. Even though I sat by a bunch of people from my ward and hung out with multiple friends tonight, it just wasn't the same as going to church with my own ward.

There have been multiple times in my time in Provo when I have gone home as often as I could because I didn't like my ward. Usually it was because I was too shy or too afraid to get to know people, so I never felt fully comfortable or welcome. I've never liked the feeling of being alone, so I would go to my home ward with my parents where I knew people.

There have also been times where I haven't wanted to go home because I've felt so comfortable with and so involved in my singles ward, and this is one of those times. I was sad that we had stake conference today because I wanted to go to my ward where I knew everyone and felt completely at home. When I could have skipped ward prayer, I made an effort to go because I wanted to see my friends.

I'm so thankful that I belong to a church where I can always be a part of something. I know that when I don't feel like I belong in my ward it is often my own doing. I've made an effort lately, and it has paid off in a big way. If I ever need anything, I have a whole list of people I know I can contact who would be more than willing to come help me with whatever I need. I belong in this ward and I feel like I belong. I'm happy here and I don't want to go anywhere else. This is my ward and my home, and I'm so thankful for the opportunities I've had and the people I've met here.

No comments: