Saturday, November 19, 2011

Giving Thanks Day 19: Dad

Today was gameday, yet again. The last home football game of the season. It was a freaking 8:15 start time, which was abysmal. Seriously. And it was FREEZING COLD. I felt really bad for not caring more about the final home game, but BYU was playing New Mexico State. They won 42–7. It wasn't very exciting. So I went home after the first three quarters. Because my toes were about to fall off, I swear it.

Despite the game being marginally miserable, gameday meant that I got to spend some time with my dad. You could argue that your dad is the best until you're blue in the face, but I will never waver that I am the one with the best dad in the world. Which is probably the way it should be. But for reals, my dad blows everyone else's dad out of the water.

It is thanks to my dad that I am such an avid sports fan. Growing up, I would watch sports with him and ask him question after question until I understood the rules. I still remember watching Jazz games with him when I was little and whispering, "Yes!" when something good would happen because I was too embarrassed to react out loud. (That has since changed, as anyone who has watched sports with me knows.) I remember watching football with him and, getting exasperated, blurting, "Dad, what is going on? Explain this to me!" He always knew everything. He knew all the rules and was patient in explaining them to me so I would understand. I'm pretty sure he just enjoyed having a daughter who wanted to understand and enjoy sports with him.

My dad is also an incredible example of service. He is currently serving as bishop for the second time. He only had a three-year break between callings. But he is such a good bishop. He does all that he can for the members in his ward, and it is so apparent that he cares about them and wants to do what is best for them.

I am so thankful for my dad and for everything he does for me. He has given me countless father's blessings throughout my life, and I have been so incredibly blessed by his worthiness to hold the priesthood. I am also so thankful that I know my dad loves my mom. I have never once questioned his love and loyalty to her, and it has shown me the kinds of things I should look for in my own future spouse.

Basically, my dad is the best ever. I love him so much. I don't know what I would do without him.


No comments: