Saturday, November 5, 2011

Giving Thanks Day 5: Sisters

Today was a wonderful day. Cora and I drove up to Salt Lake to meet up with my mom, my sister, and my sisters-in-law to eat lunch at Zupas (always and forever a good choice) and get pedicures. OMGosh, I love pedicures. It doesn't matter that it's getting cold and that no one will see my toes for months. I like knowing that my toes are pretty. And I'll take a foot massage any chance I get.

It was so nice to spend an afternoon with the girls. I spend a whole lot of time with the boys in my family during the fall because I go to football games with them, so it's nice to set aside some girly time too. I'm so grateful for my sisters. My sisters-in-law are so much a part of the family that I don't even think to differentiate sometimes, which is such a blessing. Cora might as well be my sister with how close we are.

Chelly, my true full-blooded sister, is simply amazing. Sometimes I forget how much I enjoy talking to her. She's always been my staunchest advocate. She thinks I'm awesome, and I know this because she tells me frequently. She tells me often that she wishes I lived closer so I could see her and my two freaking adorable nieces more often. Growing up, I learned so much from Chelly. I remember her teaching me the importance of the Sacrament. I also learned the blessings of scripture study through her example and testimony.

Chelly also taught me how to do makeup and my hair and took me shopping all the time (even though I usually hated it). She invited me to hang out with her friends, even though I was five years younger than everyone else. I remember being 14 and hanging out with a bunch of Chelly's college friends. Nobody thought it was weird because I was invited—I was never the annoying little sister who was shooed away. As jealous as I was of Chelly's looks (because she's absolutely gorgeous), she never made me feel inferior in any way. In fact, she was usually the best at building me up. She always made sure to let me know just how beautiful she thought I was and how much she loved me.

All of my sisters are incredible people, and I'm so incredibly thankful for the sister I got to grow up with. I have the best sister in the entire world, no battle.

Those glasses are the best. 


3 comments:

Matt Brown said...

Yeah, the dude in that picture is pretty cool too. Just sayin.

Lindy said...

You would think so.

Jeanine's blog said...

Siblings! I love all of my kids!