Saturday, November 13, 2010

Being Thankful: Day Thirteen

Tonight was the book club meeting for To Kill a Mockingbird. I loved this book. I loved how Atticus was so committed to defending Tom Robinson, regardless of his skin color, and regardless of what anyone else in the town said about Atticus or his family. I am so thankful for people like this, for people who persevered to do what is right despite persecution and ridicule. It makes me think of people like Martin Luther King, Jr., Joseph Smith, and all those German civilians who did their best to hide Jews because they knew Hitler was wrong.

I have always been fascinated with the Civil Rights Movement, the Holocaust, and Church History, and I think it's because of the intolerance involved in all three stories. Nothing makes me angrier than intolerance, and I love learning about the stories of those who stepped up when no one else seemed like they would. The courage of those people is so inspiring to me, and I'm so thankful for their courage.

I'm also thankful that I was raised to be tolerant of others, despite our differences. I was raised to look at a person for who they are and not to focus on race or religion, and I'm so thankful for how that has informed my perceptions of others.

1 comment:

Cora Newman said...

We should get this movie on Netflix and watch it! I've only seen a little clip from it, but I want more. And Gregory Peck is hot...especially with those glasses.